Advertisements
Emergency Response, Motor Racing, News, Sports

Man killed in Burren rally event

Photo: © Pat Flynn 2015

The scene of Saturday’s tragic crash which claimed the life of a racing champion – Photo: © Pat Flynn 2015

A man has been killed during a motorsport event in Co Clare this afternoon.

The driver, named as 34-year-old Simon McKinley, a married father-of-one from Co Dublin, died when his single-seater racing car lost control and crashed at around 5.30pm.

The crash happened during the Clare Motor Club Annual Hillclimb which was staged on Scalp Hill between Carran and Balharbour in the Burren.

The narrow country road was closed immediately after the crash as event marshals, safety officers and emergency crews rushed to the scene. It’s believed the driver died instantly.

The road, which had been closed for the event, is not expected to reopen until a garda technical examination has been completed.

The victim’s body has been removed to University Hospital Limerick where a postmortem examination is expected to taken place later.

Photo: © Pat Flynn 2015

Drivers, event staff and enthusiasts have been left numbed by the tragedy – Photo: © Pat Flynn 2015

Drivers, support crews and motorsport enthusiasts gather near the event start line where they consoled each other.

While the victim has not been named, one man said: “He was the star of today’s show. Everyone came here to see him. Everyone is devastated. No one can believe it.”

In a statement this evening, Motorsport Ireland  it “deeply regrets that competitor Simon McKinley of Naul, County Meath, has passed away following injuries received in a tragic accident that occurred at the Clare Motor Club Hillclimb.”

“As a mark of respect the organisers, Clare Motor Club, have cancelled the remainder of the event. Motorsport Ireland and Clare Motor Club extend their heartfelt sympathy to Simon’s family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with them at this very sad time,” the organisation said.

Advertisements

About Newsdesk

The Clare Herald was established by Mark Dunphy in December 2007 as the foremost online news resource for County Clare in Ireland. It has since become an established online news outlet for the County providing breaking news updates to a growing domestic Irish and international audience. The site features local, business, sports and entertainment news from Clare. The Clare Herald website features contributors who have an impressive journalistic track record both in the local and national media.

Discussion

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisements

Categories

Archives

clare_company_the_burren_smokehouse_lands_3_great_taste_awardsDoolin-Folk-Festivaladdtext_com_MTU0MzQ2MTAwNTYmURFAarmada-hotel-logo90502.original.pngadd-banner-ad-blogger-trick

Clare Herald on Twitter

Enter your email address to follow The Clare Herald and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Clare Herald Features

Webcam

web statistics
%d bloggers like this: