An elderly man had a lucky escape last night after his home was extensively damaged by fire.
The alarm was raised shortly before 7.00pm when neighbours of the man in his late 60’s spotted a fire in the front room of the end-of-terrace bungalow.
The fire broke out at the house in McHugh Villas where many of the homes are occupied by elderly residents.
It’s understood the man had been lighting his sitting room fire when the contents spilled out onto the floor.
The man is understood to have tried to extinguish the fire himself while neighbours are also thought to have entered the house to help him. After several minutes, and with no success in controlling the fire, the alarm was raised.
Three units of the fire brigade along with gardaí and an ambulance from Ennis responded to the incident.
On arrival at the scene, emergency services found the house ‘well alight’ while the elderly man had already left the building.
Fire personnel quickly set about tackling the blaze which had also spread into the attic area. Crews battled to ensure the fire didn’t spread to neighbouring homes through the attic spaces.
The fire was brought under control within 30 minutes and an extensive search of the building was carried out to ensure there was no one else inside.
The pensioner was assessed at the by paramedics and was found not to have been injured and not in need of hospitalisation.
Neighbours were quick to look after the man while fire crews dealt with the fire while alternative accommodation was being organised for the man last night.
Local authority staff were also due to attend the scene and make the property safe.
Gardaí are thought to be satisfied that the fire started accidentally.